Thursday, July 10, 2008

Famous French Cafe'

Continuing with my French-themed posts, today I want to tell you about the cafe' I had to visit while in Paris. Les Deux Magots is a famed literary cafe'. Since 1933 there has been a Deux Magots literary award given to a French novel. Les Deux Magots refers to two Chinese "agents" that are on display in the cafe'. I had learned, prior to visiting, that this was a favorite writing place of Ernest Hemingway and social gathering place for existentialists Jean Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir. Pablo Picasso was also a famous patron. So, filled with this information, Mr. Pink and I set off one cloudy morning for this famed cafe' so I could basically say I ate where greatness ate. And there it suddenly was just like in this picture. It occupies a large corner of Place St. Germain des Pres. We sat in the enclosed glass area (it was early March) at a tiny table in cream and black weaved rattan chairs. Tres Francais!I do remember that we enjoyed an expensive breakfast for the few items we ordered. To those outside of my protected bubble, this cafe, I believe, has become known as a "tourist trap". But, I did not care. I happily ate my authentic croissant while imagining Hemingway scribbling ideas in a notebook or Sartre engaging other patrons in intellectual banter and I was inspired. Mr. Pink, not so much... but he didn't count!


4 comments:

Belle said...

I can just see those chairs in my mind. What an amazing trip that must have been!

Ashley said...

I was in Paris - husband had a dinner - so I stopped in Deux Maggots and had a glass of champagne. Sometimes no matter how touristy it seems, a place like that must be enjoyed. A great city, non?

Anonymous said...

I have an old black and white picture of this cafe hanging up in my bedroom. I would love to visit one day. You described it very nicely though, I felt like I could have been there :)

Pink in a sea of blue said...

Ashley- Oui! Bien Sur. J'aime Paris!

Pinkpolkadot- I took tons of black/white photos while there. The one I took of this cafe was one of my favorites.