Friday, September 10, 2010

Friday

So I've tried to keep it light on the blog this week because, in reality, we've been dealing with some heavy stuff lately. My father-in-law passed away Wednesday from lung cancer. He was diagnosed at the end of March, had surgery in April, but was only able to complete one chemo treatment afterwards. Over the last month he's been in the hospital, rehab, hospital again and then moved to hospice last Monday (week ago). Mr. Pink has been back and forth a lot while I held down the fort at home. We did take the kids to see him in the hospital 10 days before he passed away (but we saw him several times this summer). We are so glad he was still able to communicate with them and recognize them, us. It was all pretty peaceful as far as it goes with no pain. Mr. Pink made it in time and was there with his stepmother when he passed away. The worst part of all of this is that you may remember that my mother-in-law passed away from pancreatic cancer in January '09 after a 15 month battle and we were her caregivers for most of that time. Mr. Pink was with her as well when she passed, ironically just across the hall from where FIL was. This just all comes so close together so it's a sad time for all of us. I am taking the minis after school for the visitation tonight and the funeral is tomorrow. The minis are officially tracked out of school for 3 weeks starting today (year round school)and we had planned a beach vacation to start Sunday. This ends up being perfect timing because we all need, ESPECIALLY Mr. Pink, a relaxing time away from work, home, school and for a time to reflect upon this huge loss. Therefore, I'm taking the week off from blogging, too. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers... Be back soon!

8 comments:

AEOT said...

I'm so sorry. What a difficult year for all of you, esp Mr. Pink. Enjoy the time away- rest up and rejuevenate!

Kristen said...

so sorry to hear about your loss, enjoy the vacation to try and rest up!

Mona said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Sending prayers for your family.

Living Life in the Lowcountry said...

So sorry to hear about your FIL! Keeping you all in my thoughts.
Enjoy your time away!

Kate said...

I'm so sorry! Hope your time away is the restful break together that you need.

Marilyn *Pink Martinis and Pearls* said...

I am so sorry to hear this has been such a time of loss for you and your DH and boys. It is always so difficult and sad. My heart goes out to you. Much love. xoxo

Barrett said...

I have been a bad blogger lately and have not kept up with things. I am sorry to hear about you loss. Having lost my mother in Feb. to cancer, my heart breaks every time I learn about someone else having to go through it.
Again, I am sorry.

Lisa said...

Late to reading this but I am very sorry about your father in law.